Landing freelance content writing jobs is an uphill task for freelance writers in the job market. The challenges are mostly about building an attractive profile, finding the right platforms to offer skills, and sending proposals correctly.
As a freelance writer, you can find relevant gigs on many platforms. Some of these websites require subscriptions while others are free. You only need to figure out the one that works best for you and get started.
This is why I have curated a list of top websites where you can easily find freelance content writing jobs.
What platforms will help you find freelance content writing jobs in 2023?
1. Upwork [My top recommendation for freelance content writing jobs]
Upwork is a multidisciplinary freelance platform that is perfect for finding content writing jobs too. The job marketplace is well-structured, making it easy to find clients in need of your services.
To get started on Upwork, you will have to create a profile, specify your skills, set your available hours, upload your portfolio, and also set your hourly rate.
The website also takes a tiny percentage of your income, so I’ll advise you to factor it into your rates.
After creating your profile, prospects can find you by searching. However, the top freelancers on the platform started by actively applying for jobs. Over time as their profiles become more attractive, prospects find them and send invitations to them.
- It’s a great place to showcase your skills, education, certification, portfolio, and experience for free.
- You can apply for as many jobs as you wish as long as you have sufficient connects
- The platform has “escrow” and “timesheet” features that help to keep your earnings secure.
- Upwork gets 20 percent from you for earnings less than $500 with the same client.
- Applying for jobs is with connects. If your connects are exhausted, you have to buy additional connects to keep applying for jobs.
- Highly competitive
ProBlogger is another platform for writers with extensive resources bloggers and writers can leverage to excel on the platform. These resources help you know how to create an outstanding profile and choose the best jobs. Most of the job postings on ProBlogger start at $75, making it a lucrative site for freelancers to find profitable content writing gigs.
- No registration fee
- The platform is beginner-friendly
- Most courses and eBooks are free
- Highly competitive.
Indeed is popularly referenced for finding long-term contracts and full-time positions for freelancers, although you may also find freelance and part-time jobs on the platform.
Many companies upload thousands of jobs for freelance writers on the platform daily, making it a large pond for finding freelance writing jobs. To find a job that matches your skills and experience, you can use the search option with keywords related to your skills.
- It is free to use.
- Content writing jobs are always available.
- There are specific rates
- You have to compete with a ton of other qualified writers
- You don’t have any hint about the state of your application
Perfect for freelance jobs, writers can find lucrative freelance writing gigs on Freelancer. Just like Upwork, you can create a compelling profile and start applying for jobs. Whether you’re a seasoned freelance writer or just starting out, there is something for you on Freelancer.
- Quick access to freelance writing jobs
- Free resources to boost your chances of success
- The platform takes 10% of your earnings.
- Your bidding is limited per month
iWriter is a rich marketplace for beginner writers to highly experienced professionals. Prospects post job opportunities and expectations and interested writers may send in their applications. Afterward, the writers and prospective clients can agree on deadlines and payment before they begin the collaboration.
- Specifically for writers alone.
- Flexibility to choose your time and delivery date.
- The platform is quite strict and clients may reject your work without compensation if below expectations.
Related Post: Insightful Tips for Writers, especially if You Are a Newbie
If you are looking for where to find profitable content writing jobs, Workable provides you the opportunity to get hired by companies interested in your skills. Amongst other fields, the website provides a large and wide range of recruiters who want to hire you for content writing gigs.
- Recruiters search for candidates with keywords specific to their niche of interest.
- You can find high-paying full-time content writing gigs on the platform.
- You can’t track the progress of your applications
- A good number of the jobs are location-specific
Contently is the website to go to if you are an experienced freelancer looking for high-paying writing gigs. Clients on Contently are mostly companies and big brands looking to hire seasoned writers with solid portfolios for their gigs. That said, I suggest you put your best into creating a portfolio that helps you stand out before recruiters.
- Clients are mostly high paying.
- Build and personalize your portfolio
- It is not beginner friendly
Fiverr is a popular freelance website for finding freelance writing jobs. To get jobs on this platform, you need to create an attractive gig and apply SEO practices to boost your chances of ranking for a keyword related to your skills.
- Resources to help you maximize the platform
- You can customize your offer and interested prospects will order your service on your own terms
- Risk of being scammed due to saturation
- It’s difficult to rank
Popularly described as the social network for professionals, LinkedIn offers a lot of opportunities for you to find freelance content writing jobs. The platform lets you organize your profile like a modern resume, making it quicker for clients to place a bet on you when they see your profile.
- A wide range of recruiters across different industries.
- Create connections with experts and colleagues in your industry
- LinkedIn courses to help you build your career
- Lots of amazing features are only accessible to premium users
10. Freelance Writing
Established in 1997, Freelance Writing is a website that has been providing writing jobs and resources to content writers. The platform is quite easy to navigate as it shows exactly where to get what you need.
You have access to free resources on how to develop yourself as a writer, and you can create a profile as well. With this profile, clients can find you easily. Clients also upload freelance writing job advertisements you can freely apply to.
- Many resources for freelance content writers
- Not suitable for writers outside the USA
11. Writers’ Work
Writers Work brings content writing jobs to your fingertips with one click. Though the platform requires a monthly or annual subscription to access freelance writing jobs, it is helpful for sourcing high-quality gigs and resources for writers. You can cancel a subscription once you have landed the jobs you want.
- Access to multiple resources
- Beginner-friendly platform.
- Requires payment to access jobs.
To round off
Freelance writing might look unstable at the beginning, but knowing exactly where to find content writing jobs, and how to navigate these websites to land your gigs helps lessen the uncertainties.
I have chosen these platforms because they are reliable and easy to navigate. If you are a beginner freelancer, I suggest you lean towards Fiverr, Upwork, and Freelancer for jobs that match your skills and experience.
If you need more guidance on how to get freelance content writing jobs, let’s talk, and I’ll help you get the structure you need.